Finishing with Being an Employer

Hot topic
There might be a number of reasons why someone no longer wants to be a PA Employer. This could because the employer's circumstances have changed and they would prefer not to be an employer anymore, or their needs have changed and they require a different type of support. Whatever the reason might be, there are a number of things the PA Employer needs to be aware of and manage when bringing the PAs employment to an end.

Changing Your SDS Option

Hot topic
There are 4 Options under Self Directed Support. These are about how a person's care and support can be arranged and how the money that is needed to pay for this is managed. A PA employer could change their SDS Option at any time. However, each Option might change the way in which support is arranged for that person, so they need to think about how each Option relates to their own personal circumstances.

Ending a PA’s Employment

If a PA Employer decides not to employ someone after their probationary period, there are certain things they need to do. If the PA Employer decides that they would like to bring someone's employment to an end, there are certain things they will need to do to make sure they comply with employment legislation. This covers areas such as giving PAs Notice and Dismissal.

Local Authority Agreements

This will include different examples of Direct Payment Agreements that Local Authorities use to enter into a contract with someone receiving an SDS budget under Option 1.

PA Employer Forms and Templates

There is a range of forms and templates that PA Employers can use to support them in their role. These resources include examples of employment contracts, interview checklists and example job descriptions.

Redundancy for PAs

Outlining the rules and expectations on employers when they are considering making an employee redundant and an employees rights in relation to redundancy


Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.