Redundancy for PAs

If your employer is making you redundant, they must:

  • Tell you why they are making you redundant and discuss the situation with you
  • Tell you how long your notice period is
  • Keep paying you until the end of your notice period.

If you are made redundant, you will usually carry on working until the end of your notice period. How long your notice period is depends on how long you have worked for the employer.

Sometimes your employer may want to pay you instead of having you work out your notice period. 

If your employer is making you redundant, it is good practice for them to put in writing:

  • The length of the notice period
  • The date the notice period starts
  • If you can leave before the end of your notice period
  • If you need to take any unused holiday before you leave
  • If you still get contractual benefits, for example a fuel card or mobile phone, during your notice period.

How much redundancy pay can a PA get? 

You only have the right to redundancy pay if you are legally classed as an employee, and you have worked for your employer for more than 2 years. 

If you’re not sure if you are classed as an employee, it’s a good idea to check your employment status. Read the article at the bottom of this page, ‘What’s the difference between employed and self-employed PAs’ for more information.

How much redundancy pay you could get depends on:

  • your age 
  • how long you have worked for your employer
  • your weekly pay (before tax).

The law says that if you are are classed as an employee and you’ve worked for your employer for more than 2 years, you should get a minimum amount of redundancy pay. This is called Statutory Redundancy Pay.

You might not be eligible for statutory redundancy pay if your employer offers a suitable alternative job and you turn the offer down.

You might get more than the statutory redundancy pay if it says you are entitled to more redundancy pay in your contract of employment.

Limits on redundancy pay

There are limits and caps on how much statutory redundancy pay you may be eligible for. Check out the Resource at the bottom of this page, ‘Redundancy: Your Rights’, for more information.

If your employer does not give you a redundancy payment

If you do not get the redundancy pay you expect, you should:

  • Write to your employer as soon as you can. The date you should get your redundancy pay should be no later than your final pay date, unless you and your employer agree another date in writing.
  • Tell the employer what you are entitled to and include any evidence to back this up. For example, you could include a letter that states your first day at work, or an email confirming a recent pay increase. 

If you need to claim for any unpaid redundancy money, you need to do this within 6 months of your job ending.

You may wish to get advice if you are being made redundant.

PAs who are members of ILG PA can access free legal advice. Find out more on their website.

You can contact the Personal Assistant Network Scotland for advice around redundancy. Find out more on their website.

Next steps

Ask your employer about their policy on redundancy and take a look at the resources below for further guidance.

Part of
Last Updated
23 May 2024
First Published
02 May 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.