Your Health and Safety as a PA

Your employer legally is responsible for protecting your health and safety in the workplace (which will usually be the home of the person you are providing assistance to).

By law, your employer should carry out a risk assessment to identify any risks to your health and wellbeing and how these will be managed. Your employer may ask you to contribute to completing a risk assessment. You may be asked to:

  • Highlight any hazards noticed around the home
  • Make your employer aware of anything that may impact your work, eg. pregnancy, injury, long-term health conditions
  • Identify training needs and ensure that your training is kept up to date (eg. moving and assisting, use of specialist equipment)
  • Consider what can be done to reduce or remove identified risks
  • Be involved in regularly reviewing the risk assessment to identify any new health and safety risks in the workplace, for example, new equipment.

Your employer should also keep an accident/incident book to keep a record of any accidents, and it is your responsibility to report any work related accident or incidents to your employer.

Other times that risk assessments might be carried out

Risk Assessments could be carried out when:

  • A PA is returning to work after a period of absence
  • There has been a change to the health or support needs of the person being supported
  • A new piece of equipment is required to be used
  • New medication is prescribed.

Next steps

Read the guidance for PA Employers around  health and safety below. If you have any concerns about your health and safety at work you may find it helpful to speak to your employer about this guidance.

Part of
Last Updated
10 June 2024
First Published
21 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.