Where to Look for PA Jobs

There are a number of places where Personal Assistant (PA) jobs are regularly advertised in Scotland. These include advertisers with both a local and national focus.

My Job Scotland Personal Assistant adverts

To look nationally: https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/personal-assistant-jobs

Adverts on specific websites

There are adverts posted by a range of organisations working across Scotland including:


What is the Jobcentre Plus?

Jobcentre Plus is a government-funded employment agency and social security office that can be found in most cities, whose aim it is to help people of working age find employment in the UK. It was formed when the Employment Service merged with the Benefits Agency and was renamed Jobcentre Plus in 2002. It is a part of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Jobcentre Plus provides resources to enable job-searchers to find work, through Jobpoints (touch-screen computer terminals), Jobseeker Direct (telephone service) and the Jobcentre Plus website. They offer information about training opportunities for the chronically unemployed. They administer claims for benefits such as Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, and Jobseeker’s Allowance (currently being phased out in favour of Universal Credit).

You can find all the relevant details here: https://www.jobcentreguide.co.uk/

Providing assistance to the unemployed

In the past, Jobcentre Plus helped those who were currently employed, as well as the unemployed. Now they only provide assistance to those who are unemployed and claiming benefits, though anyone can search for a job at the Jobcentre Plus website online, touch screen Jobpoints or via Jobseeker Direct. Employers and employment agencies can register their vacancies online by calling Employer Direct. These vacancies will be immediately listed through Jobpoints, Jobseeker Direct, and the Jobcentre Plus website.

You can find more details on how to search for jobs here: https://www.jobcentreguide.co.uk/jobcentre-plus-guide/4/what-is-the-jobcentre-plus

Jobcentre guide and job hunting advice

Your independent guide to benefits and services, FREE CV advice, job searching, CV preparation and interview techniques. It’s their aim to provide you with all the information you’ll need to help you find a rewarding job. They also have links to many job websites that list the most up-to-date vacancies.

Their guide is broken down into the following sections:

Jobcentre Plus guide

In this section they will tell you about the services your local Jobcentre Plus can provide and details of benefits you might be entitled to. Their guide aims to be simple and easy to understand.

Job Searching

There are many places to find job vacancies advertised. They will show you how using a job search engine can save you hours searching online, how employment agencies can help you find a job, and where to look for vacancies not advertised online.

You can also quickly and easily search for jobs in your area by using the search bar at the top of every page. You can also get notifications when job listings matching your criteria come up in your area and you can subscribe for email notifications.

CV tips and preparation

When applying for jobs, you will often need to submit your CV / resume. In this part of the guide they give you tips and advice on how to prepare your CV and what you can do with it to help employers and recruiters find you. You can also find advice on sending cover letters.

Interview tips and preparation

Here they offer advice on how to best prepare and present yourself at a job interview. They cover everything from how to dress, how to handle tricky interview questions and how to handle salary negotiation.

Career websites

They have a guide to the many websites available to help you find work. They have divided their guide into separate sections for job websites, job search engines, and CV advice and preparation services.


Many employers advertise jobs on Linkedin. This is a website where you can search for jobs, as well as advertise your skills and knowledge, by creating your own professional profile. You can find details on how to join here:


This is a website where PA employers can advertise for PAs and where you can reply directly to potential employers. You can register and find more details here: https://www.gumtree.com/


Facebook is a social networking website where users can post comments, share photographs, and post links to news or other interesting content on the web, chat live, and watch short-form videos.
It is also a place where PA employers advertise for Personal Assistant jobs.
You can sign up to Facebook here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/


Twitter is an online news and social networking site where people communicate in short messages called tweets. Tweeting is posting short messages for anyone who follows you on Twitter, with the hope that your words are useful and interesting to someone in your audience. Another description of Twitter and tweeting might be microblogging.
Some PA employers might use Twitter to advertise PA roles in their area.
You can sign up to Twitter here: https://twitter.com/


Instagram is a free photo and video sharing app available on iPhone and Android. People can upload photos or videos to and share them with their followers or with a selected group of friends. They can also view, comment and like posts shared by their friends on Instagram. Anyone aged 13 and over can create an account by registering an email address and selecting a username.
You can sign up to Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/

Next steps

Take a look at the article on ‘Job Interview Tips’.

Part of
Last Updated
22 September 2022
First Published
01 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.