National Minimum Wage and Statutory Payment Rates

Personal Assistants who support adults have a minimum rate of pay set by the Scottish Government each year. The rate from April 2024 is £12 per hour.

However, Personal Assistants who support children, or those employed privately by their employer (rather than with funds from the Local Authority or Independent Living Fund) are not included in this minimum rate of pay.

In this instance, employers must still pay the legal National Minimum Wage/ National Living Wage.

This article explains what the latest rates are.

National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates

Every year the UK Department for Work and Pensions publishes changes to the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage.

From April 2024, the new rates are:

  • National Living Wage (aged 21+) = £11.44 (previously £10.42)
  • 18-20 year old rate = £8.60 (previously £7.49)
  • 16-17 year old rate = £6.40 (previously £5.28)

Statutory Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay

The rate for statutory maternity, paternity, adoption, shared parental and parental bereavement pay is £172.48 per week, or 90% of the employee’s average weekly earnings (whichever is lower).

Statutory Sick Pay

From 6 April 2024, the rate for statutory sick pay is £116.75 per week (previously this was £109.40).

Next steps

Take a look at the resource available below on ‘National Minimum Wage Rates’ to guide you in more detail.

Part of
Last Updated
03 April 2024
First Published
03 April 2023
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.