Help with Moving from Benefits to Starting Work

When you go back to work, this does not mean that you have to give up all of your benefits. Some benefits may carry on and there may be others available to you once you have started working.

If you or your partner has been receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Income support, contact Jobcentre Plus and inform them that you have found a job.

Jobcentre Plus work coach

Your Jobcentre Plus work coach will help you to manage your move back into work and help you to make changes to your other benefits, including tax credits. The amount you will receive depends on how long you were receiving any existing benefits without a break. You will not have to fill in any forms but you will need any details of your income, savings and rent payments.

There is a benefits calculator available to help you see how starting your new job or changes to your working hours will affect your benefits.

You may also be eligible for support with housing. Depending on how long you have been receiving your benefits for you may also be able to get

‘Mortgage Interest Run On’ or ‘Extended Payment of Housing Benefit’

These payments provide help for up to 4 weeks when starting a new job and begin earning a wage. You may also be eligible for extended reductions on any council tax.

Mortgage Interest Run On

‘Mortgage Interest Run On’ is extra help towards the interest costs of your mortgage or loan interest. This is paid directly to your lender instead of to yourself. You can claim ‘Mortgage Interest Run On’ once your income based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support or income related Employment and Support Allowance has ended and you are returning to work full time, working more hours, or earning more money. You must also have been claiming the benefit continuously for 26 weeks and expect the work or extra money to last for at least 5 weeks or more. You must also have been entitled to help with your housing costs before the work started and will continue to have those costs when the work begins.

Extended Housing Benefit

‘Extended Housing Benefit’ provides you with an extra 4 weeks of Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent. If you are eligible for this, your local council will contact you. You must have been receiving certain other benefits for at least 26 weeks up until the time of your return to work.

Next steps

Take a look at the article on ‘Where to Look for PA Job Ads’ and ‘Job Interview Tips’ for help with finding PA employment.

Part of
Last Updated
13 July 2022
First Published
01 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.