Use of Transport (Own Vehicle and Employers) at Work

Some PAs may be required to use their own transport (e.g. car) or be asked to drive their employers vehicle (e.g. a mobility car). Examples include:

  • Using your own car to travel to and from your employers home. This may be required depending on where your employer lives
  • Using your car as part of your working role. This may include shopping or doing errands for your employer
  • Using your car to transporting the person you are supporting, say to an appointment, to go shopping or to access opportunities in the community

Using your own car

To use your own vehicle you will need to have:

  • A full driving licence which is relevant for the vehicle you use. For example, if you have a non-manual license you can only use this to drive a non-manual vehicle
  • Up to date road tax for the vehicle
  • An up to date valid MOT for the vehicle
  • Insurance cover for business use that enables you to travel to and from work, as well as use your vehicle for work

Whilst it is not required, your employer may want to ensure that you either: 

  • Are the registered keeper on the registration document or
  • Have the permission of the registered keeper to use the vehicle to show you are the registered owner of the car and have permission to use it

Mileage Allowance Payments

If you are asked to use your own vehicle as part of your role as a PA you may be entitled to Mileage Allowance Payments (MAP). You will need to ask your employer about this.

Driving your employer’s car

A PA may also be requested to drive the car that belongs to the person they provide support to. In this situation your employer will be responsible for:

  • paying the road tax
  • paying the car insurance. The insurance must also allow other people to drive the vehicle
  • paying for the petrol

You will still be required to have a full driving licence to drive your employers vehicle.

If the vehicle is one you’ve never driven before, especially if it is a specially adapted vehicle, you will need to receive training on the use of any ramp or specially adapted part.

So for example, some employers might have adaptations to the steering wheel and controls. It would be important for you to familiarise yourself with any adaptations and have the opportunity to practise driving the vehicle so that you can get used to it. Some vehicles might be larger or longer than you are used to driving, so it can take some time to get used to them.

You may also have to consider other health and safety concerns, such as weather and road conditions before driving the vehicle.

Next steps

Check with your employer for their policy on use of own transport. Take a look at the Millage Allowance Payments on the HMRC website to guide you in more detail.

Part of
Last Updated
13 July 2022
First Published
15 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.