Sources of Information for Self-Employed PAs

There are a number of resources available for self-employed Personal Assistants (PAs):

HMRC factsheet: Employed or self-employed for tax and National Insurance contributions:

HMRC check employment status for tax:

Health and Social Care Standards: My Support My Life:

Care Inspectorate:
Which has information on Registering a Care Service here:

Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) have developed a Code of Practice for Social Service Workers:

Business Gateway provide a range of information and training relevant to PAs who might want to be self-employed. Training can include courses on:

  • An Introduction to Self-Employment and Starting your own Business
  • An Introduction to Running Your New Business – Webinar

They also provide support on:

  • Stating a business
  • Running a business
  • Finance
  • Marketing
  • Digital presence

Next steps

Take a look at the resources available to guide you in more detail.

Part of
Last Updated
20 February 2024
First Published
01 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.