Sick Pay for PAs

If you are off work sick then you might have a right to sick pay. Both physical and mental health issues can count as sickness.

Checking sick pay

Your contract should tell you:

  • How much sick pay is paid
  • How long sick pay can last
  • Any rules the employer has for using sick pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is the minimum amount employers must pay. If an employer pays more than SSP it’s known as ‘company’, ‘contractual’ or ‘occupational’ sick pay. 

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

By law, employers must pay Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) to employees and workers when they meet eligibility conditions, including when:

  • They’ve been off sick for at least 4 days in a row, including non-working days
  • They earn on average at least £123 a week, before tax
  • They’ve told their employer within any deadline the employer has set or within 7 days

Agency, casual and zero-hours workers can get SSP if they meet the eligibility conditions.

What do I do if I am ill and can’t work?

If you are ill and can’t work you should tell your employer as soon as possible so that they can arrange for cover to be provided while you are off. Your employer might have a specific procedure around notifying them of illness, so it would be good to check your contract of employment to make sure you follow the procedure correctly.

If you are eligible for SSP then your employer is responsible for covering SSP, in full, for up to 28 weeks.  You could lose some of your SSP if you do not tell your employer in time before the deadline they set (or within 7 days if they have not set one).

You will need to give your employer a ‘sick note’ from your doctor or the hospital if you are off work for more than 7 days in a row (including non-working days).

Next steps

Check with your employer for their policy on sick pay and take a look at the resources below on Statutory Sick Pay eligibility.

Part of
Last Updated
13 July 2022
First Published
01 May 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.