Social Care Staff Support Fund

The Scottish Government has established the Social Care Staff Support Fund to ensure that social care workers, including PAs, receive their expected income if they are ill or self-isolating in line with public health guidance, as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

PA employers are asked to pay eligible staff who meet all of the Funds criteria their normal pay should the PA be ill with confirmed or suspected Coronavirus (COVID-19), or self-isolating in line with public health guidance. The Funds criteria is set out in the information on the Scottish Government website.

Where a PA employer has paid out a sum from a direct payment in line with this purpose, the local authority should increase the direct payment by the relevant amount.

If a PA needs to self-isolate due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), and where contingency arrangements are exhausted, the employer may need to ask the local authority for additional funding for replacement care and support for the duration of the PAs period of self-isolation.

Fund Criteria

The Fund will ensure that social care workers receive their expected income (normal pay) when all of the following criteria are met:

Criteria 1

A relevant worker’s ability to undertake health and care work is, or has been, restricted for a reason relating to coronavirus.

Criteria 2

The worker’s income has been reduced as a result of not being able to work for a reason relating to coronavirus. For example, a worker’s income may have been reduced if they only receive statutory sick pay, or another amount less than their expected income, when sick or self-isolating.

Criteria 3

The worker is experiencing financial hardship during the time when the Fund is active. The expectation is that social care workers who have been, or will be, paid less than their expected income would experience financial hardship.

The Fund is active from 27 May 2020, its purpose is to ensure that social care workers do not experience financial hardship. To receive financial assistance from the Fund, the social care worker must be experiencing financial hardship on or after 27 May 2020.

Eligible social care workers may still be experiencing financial hardship if they received less than their expected income due to being ill with suspected or confirmed coronavirus, or self-isolating in accordance with public health guidance, between 23 March and 27 May 2020.

Criteria 4

The worker is unable to work because they have coronavirus, or are self-isolating in accordance with public health guidance.

Public health guidance means NHS Scotland guidance for the general public on NHS Inform or specific social care infection prevention control guidance published by Public Health Scotland or the Scottish Social Services Council.


Provided that all the eligibility criteria have been met, the Fund can be accessed for a period of absence of up to four weeks.

Where the Fund does not apply

The Fund is not to be used for social care workers who are shielding, this is not within scope of the 2020 Regulations.

The Fund is not available when the reason for absence is not as a result of coronavirus, for example this may be where someone is isolating before or after elective (planned) surgery or travel that requires quarantine.

Staff are not eligible to access the Fund where they are absent from work to provide childcare. For example, if their child tests positive for coronavirus and is unable to attend school or nursery.

Next steps

Take a look at the Scottish Government guidance for social care staff to guide you in more detail.

Part of
Last Updated
21 June 2022
First Published
01 April 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.