Where to go for Employment Information and Support

There are a number of UK wide organisations that provide information and advice on employment matters. These include:

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

They work with millions of employers and employees every year to improve workplace relationships. They are an independent public body that receives funding from the UK government. Their website covers areas such as:

  • Employment contracts
  • Pay and wages
  • Redundancy
  • Flexible working
  • Holiday, sickness and leave
  • Disciplinary and grievance
  • A range of ACAS codes of practice

ACAS also run a helpline for anyone who needs employment law or workplace advice, including employers, employees and workers. This is confidential and free advice. They can talk through:

  • Any work-related problem or question you have
  • Tell you what the law says and how it relates to you
  • Look at good practice at work
  • Consider your options, including any risks and benefits

You do not have to give any personal details when you ring up.

The Helpline number is: 0300 123 1100

It’s open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) Scotland

Citizens Advice Scotland, the Extra Help Unit and their 59 member bureaux together form Scotland’s largest independent advice network.

Citizens Advice Scotland provide a free, independent, confidential, impartial service available to everyone in Scotland.

They support people with a whole range of issues, including areas such as:

  • Benefits
  • Work
  • Debt and money
  • Consumer
  • Family
  • Housing
  • Law and courts
  • Immigration
  • Health

They look at the problems people bring to their advice services and campaign for change where it’s needed most.

Next steps

You can find further information at the Citizens Advice in Scotland and ACAS websites found below.

Part of
Last Updated
03 August 2023
First Published
02 May 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.