Covering the cost of PVG checks for Social Care Workers

The Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme Costs

As a Personal Assistant (PA) Employer, you might want to undertake a criminal records check through the PVG Scheme run by Disclosure Scotland, before offering employment to any prospective PA. There would normally be a cost associated with undertaking a check.

Update on the costs of applying for a PVG check

The Scottish Government has agreed to cover the cost of PVG checks for Social Care Workers (and comparable roles in Justice and Children’s Services) from 1 October 2022 – 31 March 2023, as part of actions to support winter resilience across the health and care system.


To qualify for PVG fees to be waived, the person applying for the role must:

  • have started a new job or taken up a new position with their existing employer in an eligible role AND
  • have applied for a PVG check between 1 October 2022 and no later than 31 March 2023 – any applications outside these dates will not be eligible

Eligible roles for PAs

Any PA directly paid by their employer who receives their funding via Self-directed Support Option 1 and/or Independent Living Fund Scotland

PAs paid directly by an individual

If you are a PA paid directly by an individual, you should apply via the Disclosure Scotland website and send your application form in by email.. You can also request a paper form from Disclosure Scotland if you need to. You can find more information here.

You can see a copy of the Scottish Government information below in the resources.

Part of
Last Updated
07 November 2022
First Published
25 October 2022
Was this article helpful?



Please note that the information contained in this Handbook is provided for guidance purposes only. Every reasonable effort is made to make the information accurate and up to date, but no responsibility for its accuracy and correctness, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed by Self Directed Support Scotland or any other contributing party.

The information does not, and is not intended to, amount to legal advice. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal and professional advice from a lawyer about employment law matters, or an accountant/ tax specialist about taxation matters, and from HMRC and your insurers. You should not rely solely on the information in this Handbook. Support organisations listed in this Handbook can help you find appropriate sources of advice.